Saturday, February 27, 2010

"these are a few things that I'd like to know"



Hi Lower 48,

It's Saturday night - I know whoooo! get crazy - and I have been sick since Tuesday night. I called in sick Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and I would lying if I said I didn't miss my kids. I haven't been to school since Tuesday and it's almost like I don't know what to do with myself. I've had some kind of 'whooping cough.' Not really, but I cough and cough and cough. On Wednesday I laid on the couch in a daze, only to return to the couch Thursday and Friday. I slept each night from around 10pm - 10am and would take naps periodically throughout the day. I was a mess. I wasn't sick enough to lay in bed and complain of dying all day, but I was too weak to physically do most things. On Thursday a trip to the post office almost proved too challenging. I was getting frustrated and I was getting stir crazy. Fortunately today I'm feeling much better with the occasional cough and feel that by tomorrow I will ready to tackle the eight hours I'm going to have to put into making my room and lessons ready for the week.

Being sick is always a funny thing. People tip toe around you, scared to even talk to you for fear of them catching what you have. My roommate proved awesome though and didn't seem to mind that I could always be found in the same spot 15 hours a day. We talked and laughed as much as possible before she would disappear on the phone for the remainder of the night. Let's face it, when you're life exists on a couch, it simply is not that interesting.

The most surprising thing happened on Thursday night. I was reminded just exactly what friendship is. I have a friend from the WEL program that just might be the most entertaining person I know. Before entertaining though, he's also one of the best friends I have ever known and had/have. He's sent me music to keep me updated and I take so much pride in knowing that he's just an email away. We email often and he has that knack for knowing when I need to read something funny or encouraging or something that simply says May will be here before you know it, so hang in there. I emailed on Thursday letting him know that I hadn't left the couch in a day and before you know it that night we are 'email chatting' (emailing back and forth). I had no voice and looked like death, so my desire to chat out loud was nonexistent. But I laughed. So much. For the first time in what felt like ages. And the next thing you know short video clips were coming from him one after the other. And I laughed some more. And I realized this is what friendship is. It was Thursday night and he was on his winter break from school. It was Thursday night and he was entertaining a sick girl in the tundra 1000s of miles away. It was Thursday night and he was being the friend that I needed at that moment, just like always.

Karen called the next day after reading I was home sick to announce that she was home sick too. Here we are, two sickies catching up on life during the workday. It was perfect.

Looking back I was reminded that while sick and hanging out on the couch my life didn't stop while I was out of it, but it helped remind me what fabulous people I have surrounded myself with. I think of this often out here, and once it crossed my mind: I have such wonderful friends and family, why am I so quick to drop reality and do things that keep me so far away from everyone I care about? But maybe that's why I'm so okay with doing these things, chasing my dreams, living my dreams. I know that I have such wonderful, incredible, inspiring friends that I am comforted knowing no matter where I am, they will always be there for me, waiting, with open arms and great hugs for when I come stumbling back into their so-called-life. I think it's the only way I know that I can take on such great adventures, such huge challenges like this and make it through it.

Ten more weeks until I'm stumbling my way back into each of your lives,

Cristina
We fingerpainted the characters for a play we performed for all the elementary classes in school. Total chaos in the room = one stressful teacher and students having so much fun....

Chad jumped in the trashcan and I just couldn't resist. It was such a fabulous moment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment