Wednesday, November 11, 2009

First bah-lizzzzzz-ard of the yeeeear.


Today was our first blizzard. It wasn't near as intense as I was thinking. I can still hear the wind whipping about outside my apartment though. Seeing that all of our houses are on stilts, I feel like I should be concerned. Then I remind myself that houses and people have been here for years, and life is still happening out here, so I must be safe.

As I was thinking about the blizzard and looking around, I realized that before coming up here I had this idea of the people here were almost 'sub-human.' I mean they live in the arctic so they must never get cold, right?!??! They would sweat at 50 degrees and run wild and free in short sleeves at 20 and then at 0 think about putting on a coat... obviously. I was wrong.
My eskimo friends and kids get cold just like I do! Seriously - who would have thought?! At 30, each child grabbed their coat, wore their boots and a beanie hat just like I would! At 10 degrees with the wind blowing we went outside and they complained just like I did! It was then I realized that wait! these people get cold just like I do!
I know this seems obvious to so many people, but it was a huge realization to me.

So the blizzard - Jenny and I got to test out all of our cold weather gear and we were warm and cozy. I might look like one big puffy burnt marshmallow, but at least I'm a warm puffy burnt marshmallow!

One week and one month until I'm homeeeeeeeeeee where no burnt marshmallow look is necessary :)
Cristina

No comments:

Post a Comment