Saturday, January 23, 2016

Oh the stages...

So I'm starting to feel like a self-help book. Like I'm going through all the different stages one goes through when moving to a place completely opposite from what they know and love. I like I am finally in the 'acceptance' stage, if that really exists. My body may be adjusting to the temperature a little, I can sleep throughout the night only waking up one or two times, I know where to buy food I like and feel comfortable eating, and I have clean clothes to wear. These are all very good things.

I have met with my advisor multiple times and she is really great. She is eager to work with me and is beyond helpful. It is good to finally feel like things are starting to fall into place. I am beginning to realize while I thought I would be doing a lot of traveling and sight seeing, I am pretty sure these five months are going to be more research related than I thought. This idea excites me, and makes me grateful for the three week safari I went on in July. Since I have seen and done a lot of what there is to do in Botswana, I am ready to be focused on why I came here. I am sure I will travel plenty, but I came here to research, study, and write, and I'm happy to think I'm going to be given ample time to do all of that.

So... all that being said, this is what I have decided. I can no longer focus on the things I do not have: running water all the time (it cuts in and out, you never know when you will have it), air conditioner, my boyfriend, my puppy, my students, a washing machine, and more, I must start focusing on all that I will gain. And not only gain, I hope to work with teachers and leave a lot in return. I am excited for expectations and routine. I think I'm ready.

PS - Let it be noted that my stomach is NOT in the acceptance stage. Baby steps my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment