Saturday, September 5, 2009

Looking back to see forward (my first entry)

I've thought about this blog everyday since setting foot in Alaska. I've wondered what to say, what to talk about, and how to explain this experience to you, friends and family who have no idea what life is like out here. I find myself questioning if I will be able to paint a picture of life out here in bush, Alaska so you have some idea what this experience is like. I'm not sure how I'll do, but for now - this is the start...


I sent this out in an email the other day. Apparently I had a lot to say, and still there are so many thoughts in my head. I think these words do a decent job of showing some of the differences between here and the lower 48.... and the differences of life here as opposed to life elsewhere: I'm sitting here at school wondering when I'll finally be one of those "I've got it" teachers where everything falls into place. Today two of my students were sent home due to bad behavior. Who sends a student home because they are bad?! One child walked up to another child and clocked him... I mean right out punched him - and I didn't even send him to the office! He wasn't even one of the children that got sent home for bad behavior! That's how bad the bullying is here. It's taken me awhile to adjust, but it's life here 'in the village.'


I was not prepared for this life. Everything here is different. All of those classes I took at in Vermont could have never prepared me for life out here. It's harvesting season, so parents are more worried about hunting and collecting berries for the winter than making sure their child can read. I have 22 students - 2 are complete nonreaders, while 2 read at an almost at level level. The others are at a late first grade/early second grade level. And I teach third grad! Not focusing on reading puts a lot of pressure on me as a teacher. Third grade marks the first year kids are tested - so with two that can't read a word and about five that can only read a few words - and most reading at a first grade level, the pressure is on for me to succeed as a teacher (by myself and the school district). Everyday I go home exhausted. Good thing there is absolutely nothing out here to focus on besides school... and scrapbooking of course :)


Stunningly beautiful here? I get asked that a lot. Well I'm in the tundra, and it's flat, muddy and windy out here. There are no cars - only boardwalks that people use to cruise around on in their ATV's (or Honda's as they say out here). The other day I went for a boat ride and left the village for awhile - and saw some of the most amazing sights I've ever seen before - including a huge herd of caribou (huge for me, apparently they are only spotters out now, the real herd of 377,000 will be coming through in a couple of weeks). I do have to say though, there is something stunningly beautiful about the fact that these people have lived here for so many years and how they've managed to do so. The picture I've posted is one that I took of the tundra while flying in a 9 seater commuter plane. 


I like it here though, a lot, in the sense of this is the 'true' Alaska - the untouched Alaska - and that's the part that makes it beautiful. Plus, come winter, the northern lights are going to dance all across the sky making -60 just a little bit warmer.


It's gorgeous outside - you only need a sweatshirt today - so off to gather as many cranberries as possible. Let's hope I don't eat them all up before they make it into bucket!


Oh yeah - and for those of you that aren't aware - I'm four hours behind eastern time.... and it's starting to get dark here around 11:30pm. It was way after midnight when I first got here three weeks ago...


I miss everyone! 


Smiles, love and lots and lots of hugs,


Cristina

1 comment:

  1. you say that someday you hope to be one of those "I've got it" teachers... and I am not exactly sure what you mean, though I have an idea, but what I wanted to say is this: aint that just it? Meaning, as we are trying to transition out of one phase and into another--from 'well educated grad students' into the real world--we are expected to "have got it." Perhpas we do; after all, we had better 'got it' after all the money, time, sweat, and tears. (I'm only being partly facetious.) You later say, you were not at all ready for this, nor prepared for what you are now experiencing. And I think it is in those 2 things: a real hope and a an obersevaional reality that the truth lies, but more than that, 'cuz I am not really sure I know what I mean or if I am making since yet, I think you really already are one of those "I've got it" people. I think I can see that in you Cristina. You've traveled far far off to a land 1000s of miles from anyone or anything you've ever known to take a job you couldn't have known much about. That's great. You are doing IT. You've got it. Or well, perhaps you are doing whatever it's gonna take to get "it."

    I think that we all just gotta take risks and fumble around a lot in the midsts of these scary risks, 'cuz it will just be one day that we wake-up or are some how made to notice that we are doing it, whatever IT is. For you it is being a teacher for these little people who don't see the importance in reading or not punching someone else when they are angry. There's something in that.

    I know this is the only the firt blog, and I'm gonna work my way up to read the others, but I enjoyed it. Thanks!! I hope I made sense.

    ReplyDelete